Herbs are medicines derived from plants, minerals, and animals that can be used to nourish the body and treat diseases. It may be in the form of food, traditional medicine. or supplement that may help relieve inflammation slowing the incidence of Alzheimer’s disease enhance heart health May reduce cancer risk Each herb has different benefits, methods, and dosages.
If used improperly or in excessive amounts, it can be detrimental to health.
Benefits of herbs
Each herb has different properties. They may help cure diseases, alleviate symptoms, or be used to nourish the body. Herbs that are commonly used in households are as follows:
Turmeric is a spice that is a source of curcumin, an antioxidant that helps relieve inflammation. A 2017 study in the Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine in the Netherlands suggests that curcumin may help relieve pain. anti-inflammatory And eating turmeric may help prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
Dried chilies, fresh chilies, and cayenne peppers are good sources of capsaicin, which may help boost metabolism. make blood flow better According to a 2015 study in the British journal Open Heart, capsaicin may help improve heart health. speed up metabolism and may help reduce belly fat can reduce appetite.
Cinnamon is very low in calories. It may help fight free radical inflammation and help fight bacteria. and from research in journals A 2015 Pharmacognosy Research indicates that cinnamon may help lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes or prone to this disease.
Cardamom, high in minerals such as magnesium and zinc, may help relieve upset stomach. And according to a 2017 study in the British journal Lipids in Health and Disease, cardamom contains several antioxidants, including phenol, quercetin, and resveratrol. Resveratrol may help fight inflammation, constipation, diarrhea, colic, epilepsy, and cardiovascular disease.
Garlic is a source of allicin that may reduce the chance of heart disease. And a 2008 study in the journal BMC Cardiovascular Disorders found that eating garlic regularly may help lower cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure. which reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Ginger may help relieve bloating and relieve nausea. from research in journals A 2015 Gastroenterology Research and Practice found that ginger may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. also, may diminish the gamble of disease.
Peppermint has a cooling effect and has antibacterial properties. It is good for digestive health, cardiovascular health, and lung health. It may help dilate the airways, making breathing easier when inhaled. Peppermint may also have a muscle relaxant effect.
Cumin is rich in iron. May help lose weight According to a study published in a medical journal Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine in 2019 and in the journal BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies in 2021 found that fennel contains phenolic antioxidants. help lose weight control cholesterol and manage stress.
Aloe Vera May have the effect of speeding up wound healing especially burns, scalds According to a 2019 study in the Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences, aloe vera can accelerate the healing of burns. Compared to conventional medications, it also helps prevent redness, itching and infection.
Andrographis paniculata may have properties to help treat many diseases. According to a 2014 study in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, Andrographis paniculata contains diterpenes, flavonoids, and xanthones. Antioxidants that may be used to treat many diseases such as cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, stomach ulcers, leprosy, bronchitis, skin diseases, flatulence, colic, influenza.
Herbs if used in excess or in the wrong way It may cause harm to the body as follows:
Many herbs contain dangerously toxic chemicals. If herbs are used incorrectly or received in excess It may adversely affect health or cause side effects such as.
- Oleander was once advised to boil oleander in drinking water to cure alcoholism. But when the patient has eaten and causes headache, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and if eaten too much, oleander may have a heart-depressant effect. This causes the heart to slow down or it may stop beating.
- Ebony has properties to excrete parasites. But black ebony may contain naphthalene. (Naphthalene) that directly affects the nervous system This can cause vomiting, fever, diarrhea, blurred vision, blindness or blindness.
- Speakers directly affect the nervous system. Eating too much can cause dry mouth, thirst, red hot skin, blurred vision, poor eyesight, hallucinations, and mania.
- Aloe Vera There are few side effects when used properly. But if eating too much aloe vera may cause stomach pain, diarrhea, because aloe vera has a laxative effect.
- Garlic. Eating raw garlic in excess. May cause bad breath, heartburn, gas in the stomach, diarrhea, or may have allergic reactions in some people.
- Andrographis paniculata if used continuously for a long time. May cause numbness of the limbs, weakness. In some people, anorexia, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, palpitations and hives may occur.
- Ginger Eating too much ginger can cause skin rashes. Stomach gas, heartburn, diarrhea, itchy mouth, and may increase the risk of bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.
From the examination of samples of more than 100 herbs of the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, it was found that they were often contaminated with harmful substances such as
- Arsenic is about 60%, a substance that can cause sore throat, stomach pain, diarrhea, burning pain, tingling, and a thick black rash. also, might be at expanded hazard of disease
- Steroid, about 30%, is a substance that may help relieve some symptoms of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, but if used for a long time may cause swelling of the face, swelling, acne, easy bruising, bone decay, etc.
- Mercury can cause gingivitis, tooth decay, mouth ulceration, excessive salivation, and kidney failure.
- Lead may cause muscle weakness from abnormal nerve endings, abdominal pain, anemia.
Insufficient effectiveness for the treatment of disease
Sometimes the patient may choose to treat the disease with herbal medicine. instead of treatment with modern medicine But herbs may not be effective in treating diseases. or can only control the symptoms of the disease Consuming herbs alone can be harmful to health. Because the patient may mistakenly believe that the disease has been cured. therefore do not continue treatment And there is a risk of exacerbation or dangerous complications.
Instructions for using herbs
If the herbs are used incorrectly and carelessly. May result in harm, therefore, should follow the instructions for using herbs as follows.
- Treatment with herbal medicine should be treated by a specialist. Because herbal medicine must be used in the correct proportions. the right way and the disease If herbs are used incorrectly In addition to not helping to recover from sickness. Serious side effects can still occur.
- Should not be treated with herbs for a long time. because there may be residues that can accumulate in the body and if treated with herbs and the symptoms did not improve or have side effects from using herbs Should see a modern doctor immediately for symptoms and further treatment.
- Herbs should not be used to treat diseases that have not been confirmed that they can be used for medicinal purposes, such as tetanus, diabetes, tuberculosis, rabies bites, snake bites, and broken bones.
- People with serious health problems Should not be treated with herbs, but should see a doctor immediately. especially children and pregnant women, such as unconsciousness, severe pain vaginal bleeding severe diarrhea, high fever vomiting blood.